In our attempt to reduce our daily carbon footprint and protect our earth, sustainable living has become a trendy way of our day to day living practices.
Wikipedia defines Sustainable living is a lifestyle that attempts to reduce an individual or society’s use of the earth’s natural resources and personal resources. Practitioners of sustainable living often attempt to reduce their carbon footprint by altering methods of transportation, energy consumption, and diet. Proponents of sustainable living aim to conduct their lives in ways that are consistent with sustainability, in natural balance and respectful of humanity’s symbiotic relationship with the Earth’s natural ecology and cycles.
Sustainable Living is about creating a lifestyle to reduce the use of earth’s natural resources and cause minimal environmental damage to the earth, there are may easy, simple things we can do in our daily life to live a sustainable life such as:
- Reduce, Reuse and Recycle – by reducing your need to purchase new products it cuts down on the waste which means there is less to reuse or recycle. Recycle what you can and cut down on the amount of waste that ends up in the landfills.
- Stop buying bottled water – drink water from the tap
- Use natural cleaning products – there are many natural cleaning products that don’t have any harmful chemicals or you can even make your own cleaning products. Vinegar and baking soda are 2 products you have in your home that you can use to clean
- Walk, bike or carpool – buy doing these you will reduce your consumption of gas use and reduce pollution
- Unplug – when you are not using devices, unplug them. Most electronics will continue to draw electricity even when turned off, so when not in use, unplug them and reduce your energy consumption
- Stop junk mail and go paperless – you can put a stop to unwanted junk mail as well receive all your bills electronically
- Use Cold water for laundry – when doing laundry use cold water instead of hot, also have quick showers
- Buy products with less packaging – buy doing this you are reducing the amount of unnecessary products that end up in our landfills.
- Use Reusable bags – Stop using plastic bags and start bringing your own cloth bags when shopping. Did you know that plastic will never go away, it takes millions of years for it to decompose?
- Shop Organic – Eating food that is locally, organically grown without using chemicals such as pesticides or herbicides. By eating food that is grown locally, you are reducing the transportation footprint.
- Buy Energy-efficient appliances – look for energy and water efficient appliances
A big step in living sustainability is changing the way we think and the way we do everyday things. Buy making changes in our daily living practices we are creating a healthier, cleaner and a simpler lifestyle.
Let’s all do our part to change our living habits and create a greener, more sustainable planet!