Recycling is when waste converted into reusable materials, to treat or process materials into a previous stage, to use again.
You may be asking your self, “why should I recycle?’ You might think it is inconvenient or you don’t have the space for recycling in your house, well there are solutions for this. Most Municipalities offer recycling programs and supply the bins for curbside pick up making it easy and convenient and solving the space issue. Contact your local City Hall for information on what they offer.
There are also many recycling depots in every city, you can return your empty cans and bottles for a refund. Check with your local recycling depots to see what they accept before you go. You are not only saving the earth by recycling your empties but making money as well.
You should recycle for many reasons, here are a few outlined below:
- It Reduces Landfills – instead of throwing recyclable materials in the garbage where they will end up in a landfill where they will not decompose, recycle them so they can be reprocessed into new materials and products. By reducing our landfills it also helps with air and water pollution.
- To Protect our environment – it reduces the amount of raw materials needed to create products because we are reusing materials. This saves energy and reduces greenhouse gas emissions.
- Saves Energy – it takes less energy to manufacture and process recycled products than it does to manufacture new ones.
- It creates jobs – it takes a lot of manpower to process your recycling therefore creating jobs
Some things you can recycle are:
- Cans, cardboard, paper, glass, plastic, food and garden waste, batteries, CD’s, DVD’s and records, electronics, batteries, light bulbs, clothing, tires, wood, appliances, and much more.
Retailer Take Back Programs
Many retailers are now offering take back programs to help reduce our impact on the environment. Businesses volunteer to take back no longer in use items from you to properly dispose or recycle. Items such as; cell phones, alkaline and automotive batteries, fluorescent bulbs, eye glasses, plastic bags, used oil and filters, electronics, medications and much more. You can find out more information on what businesses offer this program in your city by checking with your local city hall or looking it up online.
Curb side Pick up programs
These are offered by Municipalities, they supply you with the bins for garbage, recycling and organics. They have a weekly schedule for pickup, check you local Municipalities website for the schedule and the items that are accepted with this program. By knowing what items are accepted you can purchase recyclable products when out shopping.
There are many locations where you can take your recycling. The return it depots accept bottles and cans, you can return these for a refund, as well, they accept other recycling as well, it is best to check out their website to see what all they accept.
Our land fills are being filled with products that can be recycled everyday, this has a huge impact on the environment. Recycling will also preserve or natural resources as we are reusing products already created.
So before you throw the product away ask yourself if it can be recycled and do your part to protect our environment, every little bit helps.