London Drugs has clear signs to point out products that they feel have some real environmental benefits. Products from recycled content to certified organic production and more. They want to make your shopping a little greener (and cheaper) without having to go to a specialty store to purchase green, environmentally friendly products.
The program was started in 2008 and the list of ‘What’s the Green Deal’ products has grown tremendously as shoppers demand more sustainable options.
Some of the benefits London Drugs uses to consider if a product is green are:
- Third-party certification
- Reduced packaging
- Reduced energy use
- Recyclable packaging or content
- Products are degradable or compostable
- Reduced synthetic chemicals / toxins
- Local production
- Reduced carbon footprint
- Logical environmental advantages (ie: rechargeable batteries)
- Self-declared environmental claims
- Corporate Responsibility
How does a product qualify for a ‘What’s the Green Deal’ sign at London Drugs?
- The best way is for it to have a third-party certification such as BC Certified Organic. Transfair, or Energy Star. Self-declared products may be accepted as well if the product packaging or website offer reasonable transparency and support for the claim, London Drugs may contact the company with questions.
- Corporate Behaviour has a big roll as well, if the manufactured is working towards reducing their carbon footprint and also contributes to environmental or social causes these will be considered.
- There is no such thing as a ‘zero-footprint’ product therefore; what is considered a green product is ultimately your decision, London Drugs just wants to help make your decision a little bit easier.